News from Dept of Banking and Finance, Monash University
Professor Christine Brown finishes her term as Head of Department early December 2018 and Professor Abe de Jong (who joins the department from RSM Erasmus University) is the new Head.
The Department has been actively recruiting and now has around 60 full-time academic staff. There are a number of recent research highlights:
• Bali, T., Brown, S.J., Murray, S., and Tang, Y.: “A lottery-demand-based explanation of the beta anomaly”, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis 52, 2017, 2369-2397.
• Dou, Y.: “Leaving before bad times: "Does the labor market penalize preemptive director resignations?”, Journal of Accounting and Economics 63, 2017, 161-178.
• Atawnah, N., Balachandran, B., Duong, H.N., and Podolski, E.J.: “Does exposure to foreign competition affect stock liquidity? Evidence from industry-level import data”, Journal of Financial Markets, 2018 (forthcoming).
• Brown, S.J., Lu, Y., Ray, S., and Teo, M.: “Sensation seeking and hedge funds”, The Journal of Finance, 2018 (forthcoming).
• Docherty, P., and Hurst, G.: “Investor myopia and the momentum premium across international equity markets”, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, 2018 (forthcoming).
• Jones, C. and Shemesh, J.: “Option mispricing around nontrading periods”, The Journal of Finance (forthcoming).
• Lowry, M., Rossi, M., and Zhu, Z.: “Informed trading by advisor banks: Evidence from options holdings”, The Review of Financial Studies, 2018 (forthcoming).
• Masulis, R., and Emma Zhang:"How valuable are independent directors? Evidence from external distractions", Journal of Financial Economics (forthcoming).
• Balachandran, B., Duong H and V. Vu: "Pension Deficits and the Design of Private Debt Contracts, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (forthcoming).