09 Aug 2018
News from the MA SIG
- The MA SIG thank members and guests who attended the 2018 annual dinner on Saturday June 30th This year’s dinner kicked off with MA speed dating and included a panel discussion exploring building our MA community and the next generation of MA PhDs that was chaired by Mandy Cheng (UNSW) with panellists Martin Messner (Innsbruck), Rachael Lewis (UNSW), and Ajanee Ranasinghe (Melbourne). We also introduced ‘3-minute thesis’ presentations, to engage with current PhD students. The following MA SIG committee was elected for 2018-19: Jennifer Grafton (Chair), David Brown (Vice-Chair), Mandy Cheng (Secretary), and Nicole Sutton (Research Higher Degree Co-ordinator). We look forward to welcoming many more of you to the next SIG dinner in Brisbane.
- We encourage members to connect their MA PhD students to the MA SIG. The SIG looks to bring together MA PhD students across Australia and New Zealand, keeps PhD students informed of relevant MA events and opportunities, and provides financial support to fund PhD student attendance at the annual MA SIG dinner. Please ask your MA PhD students to connect with Nicole Sutton (firstname.lastname@example.org) to join our mailing list.
- Members may be interested in the recent JMAR special issue on survey research for use as both a teaching and research resource. You can find an overview of articles in this issue at: http://www.managementcontrolassociation.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/JMAR-Special-Issue-Forum-on-Survey-Research.pdf
- Applications for the 2018 CIMA General Charitable Trust Research Grants close 12 October 2018. This year research proposals are sought for studies investigating the impact of disruptive technologies on the finance function and on management accounting practice. Grants between £5,000 and £40,000 are available, depending on the scope of the project. For further information see: https://www.cimaglobal.com/Research--Insight/Research-Funding/Research-intiatives/
- Upcoming regional MA conferences:
MONFORMA will be held in Melbourne, November 22-23. See:
The 12th New Zealand Management Accounting Conference will be hosted by the University of Waikato, November 19-20. See:
David Brown, Mandy Cheng, Jennifer Grafton and Nicole Sutton