The Auditing and Assurance Special Interest Group (AASIG) aims to develop a supportive environment for accounting academics in Australia and New Zealand who are engaged in, or wish to engage in auditing and assurance research and/or teaching. The AASIG aims to support research, education and foster relationships with practice in order to improve the contribution of academics to the auditing and assurance areas.
Members may include those with interests in all aspects of auditing, assurance including issues related to ethics, risk management and governance, whether in private, public or not-for-profit sectors.
The SIG comprises experienced and well-published academics, early and mid-career academics and PhD students. The main activities of the SIG include:
- providing a forum for continuing education in relation to the teaching of audit, assurance, ethics, risk management and governance issues
- providing a forum for continuing education with regard to current professional issues in relation to auditing and assurance
- disseminating information and communicating members’ research interests and emerging issues in research
- providing opportunities to present new research ideas and work-in-progress in supportive workshops with more time than is usually available at a conference
- providing opportunities to present emerging issues in research methodologies
- initiating, encouraging and facilitating collaborative research
- encouraging both new and established researchers in auditing and assurance research using a variety of methods
The Auditing and Assurance SIG meets on an annual basis immediately prior to the AFAANZ Annual Meeting to undertake the above activities.
SIG EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES FOR 2022
Auditing and Assurance Special Interest Group Annual Meeting
After two years fully online we managed to return for a face-to-face meeting in Melbourne – with an online option of course! The schedule of the meeting was as follows:
Saturday 2 July, 2022 – Crown Conference Centre
- AGM and introduction of PhD students – Dr Xinning Xiao (Monash University)
- Reports from the two projects of the Auditing and Assurance Standards Committee (Audits of LCE and Audit Evidence) – plus discussion of emerging topics (Professor David Hay and A/Professor Noel Harding)
- Research grant opportunities (CA ANZ and CPA Australia in conjunction with the Australian Public Policy Committee (APCC))
Panel Session 4.00-5.30
- Topic: Assurance of climate related and other sustainability information
- Chair: Dr Shan Zhou (The University of Sydney)
- Panellists: Mr Bill Edge (IAASB, AUASB and FRC); Ms Sarah Newman (KPMG); and Professor Roger Simnett (Deakin University)
MEMBERSHIP & FEES
To become a member of the Auditing and Assurance SIG you will first need to become a member of AFAANZ. The fee for AFAANZ membership is AU$115.50 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$105 for applicants residing outside Australia. Note that membership is based on a calendar year.
The fee for the Auditing and Assurance SIG is AU$22 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$20 for applicants residing outside Australia. Click on the purchase button to gain access to the SIG group. You may also join now further below to be keep up to date with the latest news and events for this group.
Chair: Paul Coram, University of Adelaide
Secretary: Shan Zhou, University of Sydney
General: Nives Botica-Redmayne, Massey University
Xinning Xiao, Monash University
Tom Scott, Auckland University of Technology