The Tax Special Interest Group (SIG) is tasked with developing a supportive and productive environment for tax academics and practitioners in Australia and New Zealand who are engaged in or wish to engage in tax research and/or teaching. The Tax SIG will aim to encourage research and education in tax and foster relationships with industry to improve and contemporise academic contributions.
- to provide a forum for members to express and discuss current educational and professional issues in tax. This will be achieved via keynote presentations and panel sessions involving leading tax academics and practitioners at the annual SIG meeting.
- to provide an opportunity for members to present research papers on emerging issues or methodologies in tax. This will be achieved via research presentations at the annual SIG meeting or an online series.
- to provide an opportunity for members to present research proposals and/or work-in-progress to garner feedback from a supportive and learned group of researchers. This will be achieved via workshops at the annual SIG or throughout the year.
- to provide an opportunity for early career members to present their research. This will be achieved via a targeted call for papers for the annual SIG meeting or an online series.
- To provide an opportunity for members to establish networks, find collaborators and seek mentors from within the Tax SIG. This will be achieved by organising social events following the annual SIG meeting.
- to disseminate information from stakeholders to Tax SIG members. This will be achieved via a periodic newsletter to members.
The Tax SIG will meet annually immediately prior to the AFAANZ annual conference, with additional ad hoc workshops and presentations scheduled throughout the year as needed or required.
Members of the Tax SIG comprise higher degree students, academics and practitioners with an interest in any area of taxation, for example: tax policy, tax compliance and morale, taxation of individuals, taxation of entities, international tax, capital gains tax (CGT), goods and services tax (GST), taxation of superannuation and indirect taxes etc.
Tax Special Interest Group & Australian Tax Review Journal
‘Tax on the Homefront: Australia’s Evolving Tax Regime’
Sunday 2nd of July 9am-1pm
AFAANZ 2023 - The Star, Gold Coast
Coolangatta Room 1 and 2
The Tax SIG would like to thank its supporters:
To become a member of the Tax SIG you will first need to become a member of AFAANZ, The fee for AFAANZ membership is AU$115.50 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$105 for applicants residing outside Australia. Note that membership is based on a calendar year.
The fee for the Tax SIG is AU$22 including GST for applicants residing in Australia and AU$20 for applicants residing outside Australia. Click on the purchase button to gain access to this SIG. You may also "Join this Group" further below to be keep up to date with the latest news and events.